For starters, take the humble pineapple that can be tough, green, scrawny and expensive back home. Down here this succulent delicacy can be found in the supermarkets for a mere 7 pesos per kilo (~ $0.27 per pound). Since arriving Amy and I have learned that to pick out a ripe pineapple you check if one of the top leaves will break off easily. Then, when you get it home it's best to place it in the fridge, upside down for 30 minutes to let the sugars redistribute throughout the fruit. (I wish I could claim that some wise senora at the local market passed on this sentimental knowledge to the newly transplanted gringos but actually, we learned this from YouTube.) Breakfast, lunch, dinner or just before bed there's never been a better way to ward off scurvy and enjoy a food that's healthy to boot!
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Bragadocious Food Post #1
For starters, take the humble pineapple that can be tough, green, scrawny and expensive back home. Down here this succulent delicacy can be found in the supermarkets for a mere 7 pesos per kilo (~ $0.27 per pound). Since arriving Amy and I have learned that to pick out a ripe pineapple you check if one of the top leaves will break off easily. Then, when you get it home it's best to place it in the fridge, upside down for 30 minutes to let the sugars redistribute throughout the fruit. (I wish I could claim that some wise senora at the local market passed on this sentimental knowledge to the newly transplanted gringos but actually, we learned this from YouTube.) Breakfast, lunch, dinner or just before bed there's never been a better way to ward off scurvy and enjoy a food that's healthy to boot!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow! upside down eh? I'll have to try it!!! Thanks Chef Ed!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you are warding off scurvy!! :)
ReplyDelete